Members

mr_melvis – Dream State 1 V1-b

Home Forums WTMO-Track Feedback mr_melvis – Dream State 1 V1-b

4 voices
8 replies
  • Author
      mr_melvis
      Participant

New track for the Dream State EP pool – feedback always welcomed.  Experimented with orchestral placement this time – breaking the orchestral midi down into separate components and working volumes, placement, etc. in a new way for me.

https://soundcloud.com/melvisman/dream-state-1-v1-b/s-8iNa4Wal59N

The Matt Schulz
      Participant

Well, this is clearly new to you … and needs refinement, those elements all play half connected half disconnected to each other, there is this occosional violin (3:02 for example) which seems to be standing in a completely different room than the orchestra. Don´t know what to suggest though, depends on what you mean with orchestral placement.

Nick Lavallee
      Participant

Definitely dreamy ❤️

:14 stereo movement feels a little too fast for me

:27 snare starts to disappear here and the high hats are really sharp through here

:51 that lute though 😍 flute? Whatever it is I’m gettin Shire vibes haha

I like how full this feels

2:30 that high wind instrument is a little loud

2:40 I love this violin but compared to the rest,  it feels dry I think,  almost too clear compared to the space in everything else

Rest of it nothing else popped out!

Only other thing from my perspective is maybe a little more variety in the rhythmic side of things but I’m a glitch addict sooooo 🤷‍♂️

Love the idea,  thanks for sharing!

mr_melvis
      Participant

Matt/Nick – thanks for the feedback!  Right out of the gate…..they all can’t be home runs!  😉  If it feels a little disjointed, it’s because I’m learning to accentuate the actual roles each instrument in an orchestra plays.  Cello doesn’t really play the same rhythm as contrabass, as violins, violas don’t play same rhythms or accents as violins or contrabass, etc.,etc..  Something new I’m working on, so I appreciate your take on it Matt.  Nick – I’ll take a look at those issues – thanks for your feedback!

The Matt Schulz
      Participant

Well so, you mean like experimenting with composing as well as placement of the instruments … so, what a viola player once told me, was that violas are more like rhythmical elements, mostly like da da da dam stuff, accentuation of whatever main melody is playing. From what i know about orchester setups, i would suggest following placement in the stereo field and depth: violins front left and center, violas front right, further right in this order cello and contrabass, woodwinds center and behind violins, brass behind woodwinds, horns left and behind, piano is also placed there usually, drums and percussion to the right and behind the strings … the solo instruments, if there are any, are placed to the front of their respective groups … singer, if there is one, takes front and center stage, a choir usually is placed left or right of the orchestra. And i am glad i am not the one who has to mic this up … i would imagine phase issues all over the place 😀

mr_melvis
      Participant

Yeah – I have charts that show the placement in the stereo field – the experiment was more in using emphasis of each instrument’s ‘role’ at different points in the track.  They are all playing the same chord voicings, just different inversions, etc..

And yeah – I wouldn’t want to mic it either…  😉

DJWhaters

There’s some really nice sounds in this mate, some of the sounds seem perhaps a bit disjointed or out levels not right making them seem out slightly, the pipe or flute or whatever it is i like, its soothing and makes you stop and listen to the track, please finish this one mate it’s proper nice!

mr_melvis
        Participant

Thanks Brother!

The Matt Schulz
      Participant

Aah, now i understand what you mean Todd … it is more about the composing aspect, I really want to help with that but i also know my own limits and you described pretty well what i am doing in my tracks for the most part as well … so yeah, i can´t be of much help with that but i will gladly lend you my ear for the technical aspects.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Description

Track Feedback is for everyone

Create a topic in the forum with your track. and get feedback from other users. Tell them what you would like feedback on.
When giving feedback, use timestamps and be constructive with feedback. No one wants to hear “Great bro”, or “This is shit”. We are creating a safe place for feedback.
When receiving feedback, dont take things personally. We know feedback can be hard to hear. But remember, this is your first time listeners, their opinion matters.
It’s really simple to be part of this. Behave nice and have a great time with the other users
Don’t use short links like those from Soundcloud, they wont work, use the full link instead.

Group Administrators

Group Moderators

Profile Photo
PR23
@pr23
Profile Photo
mr_melvis
@mrmelvis
Profile Photo
The Matt Schulz
@mattschulz
Profile Photo
Denats
@denats
Profile Photo
Ben Hunt
@benhunt
Profile Photo
Nick Lavallee
@niklab
Profile Photo
DJWhaters
@djwhaters
Profile Photo
SCHEPPERZ
@schepperz
Profile Photo
Temple01
@funkascope

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.