Skip to content
Profile Photo

WTMO-Track Feedback

• Public Group
  • 5 hours, 8 minutes ago

Ben Hunt – Dark Star (After Hours Version)

Home Forums WTMO-Track Feedback Ben Hunt – Dark Star (After Hours Version)

5 voices
5 replies
  • Author
      Ben Hunt

This is a rework of a track that went through feedback on Mixitecture a few years back, thinking of sprucing it up and putting it out along with this version as part of a double A side. Mainly looking for mix notes, but any and all comments welcome. Cheers

SCHEPPERZ

Insane, how fast those 6 minutes went by.. 😁 Loved these ear candy, transitions and stereo field work the most. Personally I thought the kick could have slightly more meat down there and at certain times I found it hard on what to concentrate on, as there is so much going on. Especially when that bongo (?) appears on that drop and then those claves (?).  That vocal gets a bit drown in that section by the percs, but overall your signature sound comes clearly through 👍 Slightly tonal balance shifts with fresh ears and maybe more sidechaining on the kick alone could do the job. Solid work again!

Ben Hunt

Cheers mate, thats the kind of feedback I needed. Possibly piled a bit too much on top of an already finished track as not used to remixing myself. Hopefully just mix tweaks rather than removing anything, but will see what I can tone down.

PR23
      Participant

Sounds great Ben, no real mix notes to add. I have a few tracks from a year or so ago that I relistened to recently and thought I should revisit them but I worry I would get lost in changing everything too much! If it works and has a good vibe, which this track does then it really doesn’t need any major changes.

Ren.Tek
      Participant

Hi! Great track. I agree with the comments above. The ear-candy is great and the track has good movement to it. For my taste, the drums should cut through the mix a bit more. Have you tried saturation on the drum bus? I don’t know what DAW you’re using but Roar on Ableton is great for this: multiband saturation and then mid/side (more on the sides) saturation in parallel.

Scott – Kenada
      Participant

Agree on sidechaining the kick, as it feels a bit more buried than it could, especially early on.
      Maybe the bassline is a bit strong in the low-mids too, feels a bit moofy. Might be worth trying notching it a bit to see if it helps.
      No other mix notes.
      I’d love the hear a middle section where the bass stays on the one note, that could be a nice device to transition or add intensity.
      Nice one!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Description

Track Feedback is for everyone

Create a topic in the forum with your track. and get feedback from other users. Tell them what you would like feedback on.
When giving feedback, use timestamps and be constructive with feedback. No one wants to hear “Great bro”, or “This is shit”. We are creating a safe place for feedback.
When receiving feedback, dont take things personally. We know feedback can be hard to hear. But remember, this is your first time listeners, their opinion matters.
It’s really simple to be part of this. Behave nice and have a great time with the other users
Don’t use short links like those from Soundcloud, they wont work, use the full link instead.

Group Administrators

Group Moderators

Profile Photo
PR23
@pr23
Profile Photo
mr_melvis
@mrmelvis
Profile Photo
The Matt Schulz
@mattschulz
Profile Photo
Denats
@denats
Profile Photo
Ben Hunt
@benhunt
Profile Photo
Nick Lavallee
@niklab
Profile Photo
DJWhaters
@djwhaters
Profile Photo
SCHEPPERZ
@schepperz
Profile Photo
Temple01
@funkascope

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.