An open-source, cross platform synthesizer that uses pitch detection to choose candidates for granular synthesis or sampling.
gRainbow was created to overcome a few shortcomings of traditional granular synths.
- Pitch variations in the input clip can produce inharmonic tones, which isn’t always wanted. This leads users to often use short single-pitch clips, restricting the synth to a single timbre.
- Manual pitch matching to the input clip is often required to produce the correct notes with MIDI input, which can be difficult and repetitive.
- Pitch shifting is commonly done with timestretching, which can create unwanted artifacts when shifting multiple octaves in either direction.
Instead, gRainbow prefers longer, pitch-diverse audio clips (1), automatically produces harmonics matched for MIDI input (2) and avoids too much timestretching by generating harmonics that are already near their target pitch (3). Voila!
- Full MIDI range, polyphonic voicing
- Quick and reliable pitch detection using Spotify’s BasicPitch machine learning model
- Up to 150 grains playing at once
- Ultra-customizable parameters that can be overriden at the per-note and per-generator level
- Grain envelope shape, tilt, rate and duration parameters
- Pitch, pan and grain position spray and adjustment parameters
- Play grains in forward or reverse
- Option to sync rate parameters to the host BPM
- Option to play a reference tone for each note to help dial in pitches
- and more!
- Full internal modulation and mapping system
- Amplitude envelope and 2 additional envelope modulators
- 3 LFO modulators
- 4 macros
- Preset loading and saving system that bundles the audio sample into the preset for you – Cute clouds that sing!